This internship has been an awesome experience over the summer, and it's hard to believe that it's almost officially over. I will admit there were some days that would drag on without anything to do other than wish I could be outside, but I feel like that will still happen to anyone as they grow up and dont want to be working on the nice summer days. Even though there were some days without anything to do, the days where I DID have work would keep my head spinning all day long. Sometimes even into the evening. Just constantly thinking of the project and how I could make this or that work, or planning something entirely different. I feel like this internship has given me a pretty good taste of what it would be like in the real job industry of a graphic designer, and all the challenges they face.
When I was interviewed for the internship, Tyler and the CTH crew were pretty new to the whole idea of what a graphic designer could even do for them. This gave me a lot of creative freedom which could be a good and bad thing at the same time. I learned that communicating your point through is very important when talking about design work, but making sure that your supervisor or client understand what you're talking about exactly. Also, making sure that they get their own opinions in at the same time. Even though Tyler and I didn't always understand each other completely, we managed to get the message through to each other and come up with designs that he and the company were happy with. Some of the projects that I worked on myself and with Tyler, Matt, and Nicole were the 3D rendering designs, promotional ads, presentation package design work, magazine layouts, and photography work. I really enjoyed getting to work with other interns, as well. Working in a team can have its ups and downs, but Matt, Nicole, and I worked very well together over the entire summer.
I feel like I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience with this internship. I've also gained a lot of knowledge about the house building and oil rigging industries. Gaining an understanding of how both of these companies operate on their own and with each other is very impressive to say the least. You dont just learn about how you to improve your skills in your intership, but also how the place you are interning at improves the lives around it. Not to go all Hallmark or anything, but finding out that the work you did as an intern, whether it was very little or a lot, will be used by that company and they will appreciate it in the long run. I am very grateful to Custom Touch Homes for giving me this opportunity, and I will take what I've learned here and use it for the future.