Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Wraping up at Weisser Distributing




For my internship at Wessier Distributing and AutoBodyNow, I assisted with graphic design under Lindsay Dykstra. I helped with several small projects to help keep up with the growing list of graphic design needs. 

My own project was to create an email marketing campaign. I sent out a 3 emails, on a schedule as well as creating an easy template for the company to use and an extra email that was not sent out. I found mistakes in each email I sent out, and changed them to see different results.



AutoBodyNow was reintroduced to previous costumers though the email marketing campaign. I reminded people that AutoBodyNow still existed and were a good choice for them to return to. I certainly helped Lindsay catch up with her list of graphic needs that seemed to grow faster than we could cross out what we did. In the end, we had completely caught up to the list and were looking for things to do.

I used Mailchimp and Photoshop mostly for my internship. I had much experience in Photoshop, which was needed for every project. I had no experience in Mailchimp or creating email campaigns, but it is an extremely user friendly site that had many helpful guides to creating and sending emails.


I also learned, and relearned, a lot of technical skills. I had to relearn HTML for the eBay listings as well as the email campaigns. Based on this, I think that I should probably relearn other coding such as java. I was in Photoshop much of the time and learned much about the differences in modes and better colors for printing. I also learned many different sites for running websites such as Shopify and Mailchimp, as well as better understanding how Amazon and eBay works on the business side.

I found that the designing procedure differs greatly from school and work. At school, all the information was given you and you knew what you had to do. The hardest part was competition between peers to create something better. At work, however, research is more important. I have to find out what I am doing and the best way to go about it. There is no one to compare designs with, but instead the designs are compared to what is expected.
Lindsay Dykstra

As an animation major, I was not too thrilled to have a graphic design internship. I first felt overwhelmed by the graphic design side of things. I felt unprepared going into this internship since I did not know graphic design, web design, and coding. After a couple weeks I felt much more confident since all I really needed was basic knowledge of layouts and knowing how to use Photoshop. Everything I did, I researched heavily beforehand. However, I definitely have a more positive outlook on this type of career.