Tuesday, July 15, 2014

It All Started a Few Months Ago.

The opportunity presented itself and I anxiously dove in, head first.

AMaVo Boutique wanted an in house graphic designer to complete:

  • Daily social media "features" on specific clothing items.
  • Update social media profile pictures/cover photos.
  • Design emails around a given theme or specific clothing trend -to be sent to all customers.
  • A few print designs from thank you cards- to small ads for magazines.
Without hesitation I accepted the position -and eagerly updated my Facebook "work experience."


Please picture me totally cheesing out while you read the following:

Hi all, My name is Rhannon Gardner -Graphic Designer- and we have some catching up to do!


Since I first started in March I've put in well over 200 hours (random rough estimate) and about 4,000 miles on my new car! Although commuting from Madison to Sioux Falls isn't ideal, I now consider it my full time job. I am very grateful and well versed in finding the right place to fill up my gas tank. 

I suppose now its time to catch up on what I've been up to and how my job has evolved over time.
______________________________________________________________________

My work weeks fly by. New apparel arrives almost daily from the boutique's various venders. 
Clothing is organized and then photographed in the studio by our part time photographer. 
Once photos are completed my boss (creative director), our online sales/copy writer (Brooke), and myself (graphic designer) have a meeting and discuss the plan for marketing the new arrivals.

This meeting usually ends with a large to-do list and a coffee run. 

Generally per week I'm assigned to:
  • Create new social media cover photos/headers.
  • Create two email blasts -one to be sent in the beginning of the week, the other later in the week.
  • Complete about 8-10 features to be posted online. Usually highlighting a specific clothing item each time using the already completed photos. This requires editing and combining of photographs and adding the website url.
  • Photograph, and design graphics for any topic we decide to blog about.
Generally each month I'm assigned to:
  • Create one ad. Currently we advertise within 605 magazine. I've had two 1/4 page ads published. One in June and the other in July.
  • Edit and put together any "Look-books." I do all the photo editing and organizing for these "stylized" photo shoots where specific trends are exaggerated and focused on. 
  • Record and edit short videos.
  • Photograph some items/models if necessary after main photo shoots. 
That all being said, you have a general idea of my responsibilities as my role of graphic designer at AMaVo. 
Now I'll do my best to upload and explain a few weeks worth of work! Stay tuned.

Sorry guys but this is going to get girly -real quick. 

-Rhannon