Tuesday, June 3, 2014

KSFY News



Hi, I'm DSU student Lance Kienast. My first week of my internship was spent learning what my role was supposed to be. My job title at KSFY News is Production Assistant. I basically do whatever is needed of me. My main job is usually one of two things: running the teleprompter, or running the studio cameras.

The Teleprompter
The first job I learned how to do is running the teleprompter. The teleprompter is what the news anchors read off of while they are on camera. My job is to read along with them and scroll the text so that the anchors can report the news unhindered. It isn't the most difficult of jobs, but it is quite noticeable if I mess up. Another responsibility of this job is to hand out the show scripts to the anchors and the director. The scripts are a backup in case something happens to the prompter.
Show Rundown
The other main responsibility for a PA is the running of the studio cameras. We have three studio cameras that are on dollies that we can roll around to get the desired shots. Before the show, we get rundowns of what the show is going to entail, and it is our job to make sure that the shots are set up before it is needed. These shots can range anywhere from a close up shot of an individual anchor to a full studio shot.
Studio Camera