Sunday, July 13, 2014

Commercial Audio & Video Week 1

Commercial Audio & Video Week 1


Well the week started off with some good news. That the first two jobs I was going to be working on were in Madison so I wouldn’t have to drive to Sioux Falls every morning, at least for a few days.
So Monday morning I met a technician at Montgomery’s Furniture in Madison. The goal was to hook up two additional speakers in the budget center, a horn and volume control in the warehouse, one outdoor speaker, one speaker in the soon-to-be conference room, and a priority volume control for the speakers around the front counter.
So we started with the speakers in the budget center and that wasn’t too difficult at all. It was just mainly positioning the speakers to blanket the room in a consistent level of sound. The rest was just running speaker cables so they were well hidden. Next came the conference room, the outdoor speaker,  and the Warehouse which were the same as before, just placing a speaker and running cable. The Warehouse all needed the volume control knob which we just tied into the system where the main line entered the warehouse. The Priority control was much similar just had to isolate the two speakers in front from the rest and gave them their own control knob.
Next we moved to a different job which was at the DSU Alumni Foundation Office. What we did there was sound masking which is just placing speakers in the drop ceiling where they are not visible to everyone and then placing a rack in a back maintenance room to generate the sound as well as provide power to the speakers. The hardest and most time consuming part of this process was running the speaker cable from room to room through the drop tile. This job only took us Wednesday and then another hour Thursday morning.













          After we finished that job Thursday morning we drove to Sioux Falls were I met Nathan Fields on the next job site after a quick pit stop at the Commercial Audio & Video office.

The next job site that I worked on for the rest of the week was located at The Pourhouse which is a new bar and kitchen opening in Sioux Falls this upcoming week. By the time I got there all of the speaker cable as well as the CAT5 was pulled to where it needed to be. So all that was left was correctly routing the rack in the back office area as well as wiring the speakers for sound and mounting and wiring the many TVs around the bar. I believe there was about 20-25 speakers, 21 46” TVs, and 2 75” TVs. All in all it was pretty simple. Just terminating CAT5 cable in order to run video and IR to the TVs and then stripping and connecting speaker wire to the speakers and 4 of the TVs so they are able to send out sound to their respective speaker zones. All in all it was a very busy 48 hour work week but I enjoyed every minute of it.