Thursday, July 3, 2014

Exciting Week

Monday was a tiring day. We met at Steff’s house to load our cars with magazines to deliver to various businesses around Sioux Falls and surrounding towns. 

The sky was pretty weird that day.
Steff told me I was going to be on my own for delivering and gave me a list of businesses and addresses. I don’t know my way all that well around those parts of Sioux Falls, but it turned out to be okay, because I was at a business close to home, so I went home and grabbed the GPS. That helped tremendously. There were 2,400 magazines weighing down my car while I made a seven hour trek around surrounding Sioux Falls areas. I was pooped.

There were 12 boxes in my car. More were in the backseat.
Tuesday morning Steff and I went to Ally’s house. She is the design director of Hood. We sat down and talked about ideas for the media kit and the next magazine issue which is going to cover family fitness. After that, Steff gave me her key to the office and let me head there while she ran to a food place of my choice (Jimmy John’s – yum) and got me a number nine – Italian Night Club – my favorite. She said it was working so hard the day before. Daw, that’s sweet of her. It’s the third time she has paid for my food.

After I downed that sub, I worked on writing copy, changing advertisement rates, and updating a delivery list for Christmas in July. We deliver next week, and I’ll be sure to bring a GPS this time.

Thurday, I got up early and met Steff at the KSFY news building so she could show off a 4th of July recipe and the current issue of Hood. I was there to be Steff’s photographer, and it was a pretty fun time with Shawn and Nancy from KSFY.

Shawn and Nancy on air. The better pictures I took were on Steff's iPad.
After that, we went to the office where we picked a winner for the animal drawing contest for a family pass to the zoo.

These were three of my favorites.
The rest of my time was devoted to Christmas in July. Cards were made for businesses that we are going to deliver cookies to next week in hopes to persuade them to advertise in Hood’s holiday gift guide in the next issue. There were many problems such as too much copy and not enough white space, and printing out blurry. It finally worked out in the end, and I spent a while personalizing each of the 88 cards, printing, and cutting each out.


Happy 4th of July weekend, blogosphere!