I applied to 20 different businesses for a summer internship. The amount of rejection emails I received dampened my spirits and made me feel worthless.
I went into the interview with Hood Magazine thinking it would end in yet another rejection. Little did I know that my quest for a summer internship would stop here. I was offered the job on the spot, and knowing that the internship position I applied for was right up my alley, I accepted.
![]() |
| Example Hood magazines on the office table. |
The next day was not as awesome as I thought it was going to be. We met a photographer at Apple Tree Children’s Center to start the shoot. My supervisor, Steffanie, sent me to get glasses for the shoot from Vision Care quickly. It was the exact opposite of quick. The traffic in Sioux Falls was awful, and it seemed like no matter which street I took to make the long trek to the clear other side of town, I got nowhere quickly and hit almost every light red. When I got back to Apple Tree with glasses in hand, they had already finished shooting the outdoor pictures, and we were now going to go to the photographer’s studio. We were there for maybe half an hour when Steff let me go home early because of the scary-looking sky and tornado warning. So, yes, I spent most of my limited time driving around Sioux Falls, but she said that getting those glasses for the shoot helped her a lot and made the pictures look so much better. Therefore, I’m glad I was able to be there to help.
![]() |
| This is a glasses picture similar to the one we shot. |
When Steff got there, and I did a lot of miscellaneous things like filled out and sent a wedding RSVP for her, divided cupcakes into fourths, and gave her dog treats (no, I didn't give the dog cupcakes).
Then came the big one. I helped her make a “dummy” of the next magazine issue. Basically, that means doing the layout of the magazine from cover to cover deciding where articles and ads are going to be placed. It was a frustrating task, but together, we got it done.
We later had a meeting with other staff members. We discussed a few things that I didn’t find very enthralling, but Steff saved the best for last. Hood Magazine had an essay contest for Father’s Day. The contestants had to answer why their father was the best in order to be in the running for a $200 Scheel’s gift card. There were 49 submissions, and we sifted through and chose which ones we liked best. That was the best part of my day. I loved reading all those stories, and some were serious tear-jerkers. Kids can write!
Excitement has consumed me waiting to see what is still to come!



